Friday, October 20, 2017

The Soundtrack of the Necropolis

(I'm currently playing this CD while writing out this review, of course!)




Valentine Wolfe is a breath of fresh air within the Gothic/Dark Victorian subculture. Combining dreamlike lyrics with dark music to soothe your soul, this band does more than just play music - they experience it. And they make sure that you do as well. When I learned that they were coming out with a new album through Kickstarter, I knew I had to contribute money. Of course, when I learned that the album was a love song to Death, I knew I wanted it even more.



From the first track of Sin Eater to the final song of Last Kiss, The Elegiac Repose is a damn near perfect album. Sarah Black's voice pierces through the Veil with grace and respect of the Dead, while Braxton Ballew's upright bass fuels the darkness in a proper way. Each song is its own creature, beautiful and deadly, yet you will want to turn it up wherever you are playing the album. Although the entire album is quite lovely, my favourite songs are Porcelain Creature and Melancholy is the Devil's Bath - these two songs really stand out to me. I also enjoyed the cards that came with the album - each song is represented with a beautiful photo and the lyrics on the back.


The Elegiac Repose is to remember those who have passed, those who are currently dealing with the loss of a loved one, those who enjoy excellent Gothic music, or those who are of the Death Positive persuasion. For those of you who don't know, the Death Positive movement is all about respecting Death and the mystery that surrounds it. In learning about Death do we learn to live. Two of the more well known organizations are the Order of the Good Death and Death and the Maiden. If you are interested in these organizations and what they are all about, I highly recommend checking them out.


I can't recommend The Elegiac Repose enough - please, purchase this album. You won't be sorry.

I am sure the inhabitants of the Necropolis in my stories would enjoy this album very much.


No comments: