Monday, May 1, 2017

A FIRE That Will Never Die





Last week, I attended an interview of underground comic artist Peter Bagge at the Brooks Museum of Art and it was quite educational. Although I'd never read his comics, I was familiar with HATE and his style of drawing. However, what really pricked my interest was when he discussed two of his works involving women who made a difference in America. One was Margaret Sanger and the other was Zora Neale Hurston. She is one of my inspirations on many levels, so it was quite pleasing to hear how much he enjoyed not only researching her life but also completing the graphic novel FIRE: The Zora Neale Hurston Story.

I will freely admit that I've read this book at least three times since purchasing it and I found something different with every read. Although it's not the complete story of her life, the book gives you enough that you can't help but want to read all of her works. Hurston was an adventure seeker, a woman who refused to allow anyone to dictate her life to her, and someone who was a force to be reckoned with. Whites and blacks admired her and if they didn't, she couldn't have cared less. She had a voice and she refused to be silent. Bagge, in his art and conception, gives her more than proper credit and respect. Even if you know nothing about Hurston and her works, this book provides just enough to educate and enlighten you on such a fascinating woman.


EX LIBRIS!

No comments: