Monday, March 13, 2017

The Path of Tea - Liu An Black Tea





Global Tea Hut's March blend is "Golden Thread" -  Liu An Black Tea from Qimen County, Anhui Province in China. The entire processing time for the tea is more than half a year then stored for at least three years before it can be sold to people. As I stated in the previous tea post, most people mistake what is known to be red tea as "black tea". True black tea is artificially fermented post-production, while red tea (black tea) is oxidized through a long period of withering and rolling during production. According to Global Tea Hut, not too many people in the West have tried Liu An Black Tea, so drinking it is quite the experience. Since this evening proved to be a cold and now rainy one, I figured that it was a perfect time to fire up the kettle.


Once the leaves came into contact with the water, scents of smoky and fresh came into full force. I let the leaves steep a little longer than I should have yet it's all part of the learning process.



I will freely admit that I sniffed the leaves after dumping them out of my infuser. They smell divine! Hints of earthy, smoky, "green" all combined in the leaves.



The tea tasted delicate and not overpowering, with the "smoky" part hitting my taste buds right at the end. I tried a little honey and found that, just like last month's red tea, the honey enhanced the flavour rather than just make it sweet. This tea is good any time of day or night. If you are interested in purchasing this tea, just do an Internet search and several tea companies that offer Liu An will pop up, or you can subscribe to Global Tea Hut now and hopefully get this blend this month before the next one is delivered.




May Your Cup Never Dry!

No comments: