Saturday, November 26, 2016

Twenty Stories . . . All NOLA





I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. If you weren't able to be with loved ones, I hope it was still a good one.

Twenty Stories has now made me a full fangirl of author/photographer Kristin Fouquet. These stories, seemingly based in NOLA, show off the city and Her residents in a light that only locals and regulars can understand and appreciate. I've been visiting NOLA ever since I was a child, yet there is always something new to discover whenever I'm down there.

Some of my favourite stories are "The Painters", "Dames of Dumaine", "The Moon is New but Love is Old", "Another Initiation", and "A Reason to Believe". Although all of the stories are simply delightful, those really stood out in my mind. Fouquet's writing, as I informed Viking (yes, that is a real person in my life), is like smoking a cigarette and drinking a glass of absinthe while your lover reads to you in a house one rainy day. She speaks and breathes NOLA; her love of the city comes through her writing.

When I first read Fouquet's work, I was in Rue de la Course, a bank turned coffee shop in the Oak Street area in NOLA. I just visited Blue Cypress Books and wanted to take a break. Fouquet was perfect to read as classical music floated through the place while I sipped on lemongrass tea. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but by the gods, I can remember moments like that!

Fouquet's website - Le Salon - shows off her photography, writing, and where to purchase her books. Since today is Small Business Day, it's a nice place to start.

Thank you again, Kristin - maybe we can have lunch the next time I'm down there.

EX LIBRIS!

No comments: