Saturday, October 22, 2016

Epicurious in the 901 - Robata Ramen and Yakitori Bar




Thanks to two of my friends in NOLA, I was introduced to the world of Ramen Noodle Bars. Delicious noodles coupled with different choices of meats and vegetables, all simmering in broth - Heaven in a Bowl. My first Ramen experience was at Noodle and Pie on Magazine Street in NOLA. Not only do they offer great noodle bowls, but they also offer tasty and unusual PIE (hence the name - I know, I'm being Captain Obvious!) If you ever find yourself in NOLA, I highly recommend having lunch there. It's well worth it!


Anyway, it delighted me greatly to learn that Memphis has a noodle bar as well - Robtata Ramen and Yakitori Bar in Overton Square of Midtown Memphis. Nestled in a charming yellow house, Robata is THE place for noodle bowls and really tasty Japanese food, not to mention a killer sake selection! My Friday lunch consisted of ebi gyoza (deep fried shrimp dumplings) and the Shoyu Spinach Ramen Bowl - thin cut noodles, chicken broth, spinach, marinated boiled egg, green onion, BBQ pork, bamboo shoots, and bean sprouts. The food arrived literally three minutes after I had placed my order and it was well presented. I quickly dug in and found myself unable to stop eating.


It may not look like a lot of food, but I had to take a good part of it with me, only to devour my leftovers an hour later, even cold. Reasonable prices, delicious food, and a great atmosphere - you owe it to yourself to check out Robata! This has become one of my new favourite hangouts in the 901!




No comments: