Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Feeling the PRESSURE From Below





I really hate it sometimes when I devour books.

Then again, I also can't help it when a really really good book grabs my attention. Such was the case with PRESSURE by Brian Keene. I will freely admit that while PRESSURE is the first book I've read by Keene, I'd heard of him before. So, when the chance came to meet him and get my book signed at Tubby and Coo's Mid City Bookshop in New Orleans, I jumped at the chance. Needless to say, Keene is one laid back and very cool dude. While signing a copy of his newest book for me, I was signing a copy of my book, The Decembrists, for him. I hope like hell he liked reading it.

(having a fan girl moment - squee!)

Alright! PRESSURE is that lovely tale of Man vs. Nature in which Nature sometimes gets the upper hand. In this case, it does, thanks to us. This story is thus: the coast of Mauritius is suddenly falling apart and the Indian Ocean is freezing. Not just cold but beyond frigid. The sea life in the waters are frozen and dead and no one can explain it. Marine biologist and expert diver Carrie Anderson goes diving in the waters with her partner Peter to discover why the coast, affectionately known as the Mouth of Hell, was suddenly falling apart, yet only Carrie made it to the surface alive. Something is in the waters, something never seen by mortal eyes. Soon, Carrie is suddenly caught up in more than she bargained for as she races to discover the truth that lurks in the black frigid ocean.

This blend of suspense, human corruption, science and technology, and horror has been expertly crafted by Keene - as it says on the cover by author F. Paul Wilson, "Brian Keene writes like a force of Nature." So true. PRESSURE is a good fun read that will send chills down your spine and make you think twice about swimming in an ocean. JAWS is merely a warm up to PRESSURE . . . . and I love JAWS. Keene's writing is relentless in exploring just far humans will go in making the world a "better place". Although the "creature" in the book was terrifying enough, the humans on dry land were even worse.  All I have to say is: damn, damn, damn.

Thanks again, Brian, and see you soon!

EX LIBRIS!


No comments: