Monday, June 27, 2016

The Armless Hero of Africa!





I'm a sucker for adventure stories - Indiana Jones was my idol when I was a child. I loved that man so much that I created my own version of him - Indiana Kim - complete with my whip (jumping rope), my lucky hat (my granddad's hat), terrifying animals of the jungle (my stuffed animals and a cassette recording of me making bird noises), and my journal (my spiralbound notebook). Thanks to Pro Se Publications, Indiana Kim grew up to become Agnes Viridian (her first story is in Black Pulp!). Although I can watch Raiders of the Lost Ark over and over, I'm always in the mood for new adventure stories.

Well, brother, did I ever find one.

Deep in the jungles of Africa is a man so courageous, so terrifying, so brave, that even the natives tremble when they hear his name. Okay, not really, but I'm in the mode now - work with me! Welcome to the world of Armless O'Neil - a feisty Irishman in the time of World War II and Nazis all contained within the Dark Continent. I had never heard of Armless until I purchased my book from my publisher, Tommy Hancock, yet when I began reading the book I knew I was in for a treat!

"Blood-Price of the Missionary's Gold" is just one of five stories that make up this book - although Armless is the same rough and tumble kind of hero in all of them, each author lends his voice to their story, truly creating original adventures that do not disappoint. The book begins with "There's Always a Woman Involved" by my friend, the wildly talented author Sean Taylor; dark humour, not really a dead women, and Nazis make up a grand entrance into Armless's world. The other stories are just as fantastic, yet I have to say that my all time favourite story in the book is the title story by I. A. Watson. Quick and filled with action, suspense, monkeys, Nazis as the enemy, and good ol' Armless leading the way, you can't go wrong with this story. Yet, even though I picked a favourite, the entire book is BEYOND AWESOME.

Yep, I used caps. I liked the book just that much.

I can't wait to read more about Armless; I'm sure Tommy has the list.


PS -  . . . and within two seconds, I located this book! Yeah, baby!

EX LIBRIS!

No comments: