Sunday, May 8, 2016

Chado Dreaming - Chocolate Cinnamon Pu-Erh






If someone were to offer you a cup of fermented tea, you'd probably say no. However, if they offered a cup of Pu-Erh tea, you'd probably say yes. Pu-Erh is a fermented tea produced in the Yunnan province of China and it is sometimes sold in the form of "bricks" or "cakes". Some people use this form of tea as a substitute for coffee - good taste with a nice amount of caffeine. The flavour is bold yet not harsh and it is good for any time of the day, not just in the morning.

I recently purchased Rishi Tea's Chocolate Cinnamon Pu-Erh tea and found it to be quite delightful. Since giving up coffee over a month ago, tea has been my replacement for my "morning cup". Having a cup of this particular Pu-Erh has been satisfying without me feeling buzzed. I decided to have my next tea mediation using this blend and what I "discovered" was quite interesting -


Climbing a mountain under a sunny sky.
I'm dirty and tired yet I keep climbing.
I hear different languages spoken all around me and I understand them all.
I reach the top, a plateau, to find a bazaar. 
Merchants selling spices, indigo coloured cloth, chocolate. Old books.
A sense of coming home.
Grounded.
Safety.
Wisdom.
I hear a woman singing in an archaic language.
I can smell freshly turned earth.
Ancient lore and gods that have returned.
I feel old.

(New Mexico, photograph by Kimberly Richardson, copyright 2015)


If you are curious to try Pu-Erh tea, I highly recommend trying the Chocolate Cinnamon from Rishi, or the Chocolate Pu-Erh from Numi Tea .

Viridian Tea Company does not have a Pu-Erh . . . yet.

You'll never look at tea the same way again.


HAPPY CUPS!





No comments: