Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Space Werewolves With Romance? Yes PLEASE!



After taking several days off from a most wonderful Midsouth Con (so good seeing everyone!), I'm back in the saddle to ravage this land with my books and tea!

Or, I could just review a book instead . . . .

One thing that I love about cons is that I get to meet really awesome folks and this year's Midsouth Con was no exception. Thanks to the spacing in the dealer's room, I had a chance to meet and talk with Sela Carsen, author of several novellas and short stories that are, well, shall we say, all about some LOVIN? After talking with her on several occasions, I decided to purchase several of her works. After flying through A Wolf to Watch Over Me, I knew I had made a good choice.



Most people know that I love werewolves, which is funny because I used to read anything that had a vampire in it. Don't get me wrong; I still love my vampires, a la Trisha Baker, Anne Rice, John Hartness, and Brian Lumley. However, I have recently begun reading and writing stories involving werewolves and I have to admit - they are most fun! However, Carsen's werewolves are anything but fun. In fact, they are quite, quite dangerous.

Enter the wolf shifters from the planet Fenrir, complete with black eyes, at least seven feet in height, rapid shift to wolflike status, and little concern for humans as they make a living on the planet Earth. However, one shifter named Hakon sidUlfr, gives the humans more than just a passing glance. In fact, he is the bodyguard in hiding of a human female physicist named Lauren Ivers who is the target of an assassination plot. In the course of one day, the two are thrown together amid much chaos and bloodshed, only to find themselves at the end as more than the hunted and the protector.

Carsen tells a 41 page story well, blending in the right amounts of intrigue, science fiction, romance, and even some humour. Her voice is clear and strong as you wonder if the two will actually make it off the planet alive. The romance aspect is not fluffy and syrupy sweet but rather quite gritty that doesn't end with the two kissing in front of the setting sun. Lauren is a smart woman who is not a damsel in distress and Hakon is not the hulking beefcake with the ever so clever "shirt with rips in the right spots". A romance between a space werewolf and a human physicist? Sure, why not!

Carsen did inform me that there will be at least one more book in the Fenrir series and I all I can say is HUZZAH! In fact, when I finished reading A Wolf to Watch Over Me, I pestered her with questions. Yeah, I do get fangirl every so often. Like that time I fangirled on that astrophysicist and received a copy of her paper regarding gravitational waves and black holes. But I digress.

 If you like romance that ain't really romance with believable characters written by a strong female voice, then check out Sela Carsen.

Okay, back to ravaging the land with my tea and books . . . .


EX LIBRIS!

1 comment:

Sela Carsen said...

Thank you, Kimberly! I'm so glad you enjoyed their story!