Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Creative Flow: Of Elmwood and Bowie



Last week, I received an invitation to attend a volunteer luncheon at Elmwood Cemetery today; it still seems like a dream that I was the 2015 David McCrosky Volunteer Photographer in Residence for such an amazing place in Memphis. I could not refuse such an invitation and so I went.



After arriving at the chapel and making light chatter with several of the volunteers, we were served a lovely lunch followed by pound cake. As we ate and continued our conversations, Kim McCollum, the Executive Director of Elmwood, stood up to thank us all for coming and for being a part of making Elmwood more than a cemetery. She pointed out several of the tasks accomplished by the volunteers then, looking in my direction, mentioned "those who take photos for our archives". Suddenly, I felt a ball of emotions grow inside of me; my work was a part of their archive. I considered it to be quite the honour to know that my work would be forever a part of Elmwood's ongoing history. It also touched me greatly to see that the volunteers, old and young, black and white, men and women, were sitting around and sharing tales of their volunteering. I listened to stories about the cemetery and even got asked if I had family buried there. I regretfully said no, yet I was happy that such a question was presented before me.



After listening to Kim McCollum give her thanks, my thoughts turned to David Bowie and his passing. He was more than a musician to many of us dreamers and artists. He was among the stars; some people say that he didn't die but rather just "went home". He was an inspiration to many of us, one that will never be forgotten. As I continue with my books, photography, tea, and literary journal, I know that the source of all inspiration has just grown in a major way.



Elmwood Cemetery, I thank you for giving me a chance.

David Bowie, I thank you for being you.





1 comment:

Ernest said...

Very poignant. Listening to some of the music from his last album it is almost as if he made his death a part of his art. He was transcendent in many ways. As to your photography, it is lovely and I have enjoyed the photographs you have posted. Because of them and your words about it, Elmwood has become a place of peace and tranquility with a natural beauty seen through your lens. Thank you for sharing them.