Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Beauty of the Rubaiyat ~





The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (1048-1131) is a collection of quatrains that focus on the "live in the present moment and enjoy yourself" ideal. They express a desire to drink wine, be blessed with the light, and of the mystical. Rather than do a "review", I wanted to share several of the quatrains and hope that perhaps you will want to read the book as well. I also included several of the illustrations by Edmund Dulac so as to add to the overall aesthetic (pun!) of the work. The illustrations came from various websites and blogs - I apologize for not listing the actual link.


I.
Awake! for Morning in the Bowl of Night
Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight:
And Lo! the Hunter of the East has caught
The Sultan's Turret in a Noose of Light.





XX.
Ah, my Beloved, fill the Cup that clears
To-Day of past Regrets and future Fears - 
To-morrow? - Why, To-morrow I may be
Myself with Yesterday's Sev'n Thousand Years.






XXIV.
I sometimes think that never blows so red
The Rose as where some buried Caesar bled;
That every Hyacinth the Garden wears
Dropt in her Lap from some once lovely Head.





LXXIV.
Ah, Moon of my Delight, who know'st no wane,
The Moon of Heav'n is rising once again:
How oft hereafter rising shall she look
Through this same Garden after me - in vain!


No comments: