Sunday, July 19, 2015

Book Review - The Drowning City by Amanda Downum


The Drowning City is the first in a fantasy series by author Amanda Downum and I have to admit that I was completely drawn in and refused to let go. Symir, also known as the Drowning City, is a place filled with wonder, sweltering jungles, assassins with hidden agendas and the restless dead. A spy and necromancer named Isyllt Iskaldur arrives in the city with her carefully plotted agenda, only to find that the city turns her into an unwilling pawn in a game to the death and beyond. No one is clearly defined as a "good" or "bad" person in The Drowning City, yet everyone involved in the game all have their motives for their actions. Even the river goddess Mir has plans of her own. 



This is an excellent beginning to a series that I know I will want to return to, thanks to the solid writing as provided by Downum. She has clearly given Symir and her inhabitants character and dimension and I found myself wanting to visit this city and discover its wonders. Even the dead are not truly dead; they speak and think with emotion so that I forgot of their "condition". The descriptions of Symir and the outlaying area made me think of South America and Italy mixed with the Middle East and the Far East. Spices, colourful clothing, seductive music and murder. 

How delightful. 

I have to admit that I'm a sucker for that kind of fantasy setting.


Highly recommended!


EX LIBRIS!

No comments: