Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Book Review - Thieves' Quarry by D. B. Jackson

Let me just say for the record that this is not actually a book review. This is, rather, a book love post.

After reading Thieftaker, the first book in the series created by D. B. Jackson aka David B. Coe, I was hooked. The book was the right blend of fantasy, history, romance, mystery and horror. I have been a fan of David's for many years and although we are now friends and fellow authors, my love of his work has not diminished. Although I waited for almost a year to read Thieves ' Quarry, the second book in the series,  it was well worth the wait.



Boston, 1768 - We are once again with Ethan Kaille, thieftaker and conjurer, as he accepts a mission on behalf of the Crown: solve the mystery of the entire crew's death aboard the HMS Graystone. However, when Kaille realizes that one of the men is missing from the roster of the dead, the plot thickens as Kaille realizes that magic is certainly afoot and it is most deadly. Jackson's writing will keep you guessing to the very end and even then, you will wonder how you didn't see it coming from the beginning. I will admit that when the "reveal" occurred, I was not ready and actually said, "What the hell?" with a grin on my face. That is the work of a master author and Jackson is definitely that.

Like I said before, the Thieftaker Chronicles is an excellent blend of mystery, history, romance (a pinch!), fantasy and horror; Thieves' Quarry put that mix into an even better blend that will leave you wanting more. Thank goodness A Plunder of Souls (third book) is out!

Thank you, D. B./David!

EX LIBRIS!

No comments: