Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Review - Night Music: Three Tales of The Secret History by Rose Streif



I'm listening to classic Siouxsie and the Banshees in my apartment as my mind returns to the world I just inhabited only a day or so ago. . . .

I had the pleasure of meeting author Rose Streif at Imaginarium, the lovely writing convention located in Louisville, Kentucky. I was walking through the dealer's room on Saturday, wondering which books to pick up and take home with me, when I met Rose at her table for the publishing company Das Krakenhaus. After talking with her and her associates for a while, I knew that I had to purchase her books. After all, she was a fellow "dark chick" author!

Several weeks later, I finally got around to reading one of her books, Night Music: Three Tales of The Secret History, and I have to admit that I was beyond impressed. The three stories will give you just enough of a taste of her "world" and believe me, it is a good entrance into that world. The stories are thus:

"A Man For Arrah" tells the story of an automaton located in New Orleans that has failed to work, leaving it up to an anomalyst and her wolf folk partner to solve the dark mystery that lies behind it. "Pretty Polly" is the story of what happens when a shady yet handsome bigamist believes himself to be beyond the reach of the law. And, "The Wolves of Draper Hollow" is a very touching story of a rogue wolf folk man who joins another clan and what he must endure in order to keep his place there.

These three stories, plus an excerpt from Streif's full length novel, The BearKeeper, are wonderful examples of Streif's writing; her words are dark and formal, woven in with silk, absinthe and seduction that places her as a Modern Gothic storyteller with ease. Her writing will appeal to fans of Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, China Mieville, Allan Gilbreath and me!

Click HERE for more details about her books.



EX LIBRIS!

No comments: