Saturday, April 26, 2014

THAT Line That Caught My Eye - The Ghost Writer by Philip Roth




Now that I have read and fully comprehended The Dying Animal by Philip Roth, I wanted to spend a little more time with him to see if my feelings would apply to his other works. Right now, I am reading the book The Ghost Writer, concerning his alter ego, Nathan Zuckerman, and his meeting with famed author E. I. Lonoff. I would like to share with you a particular passage that caught my eye so that I re-read it several times.



This is Roth at his finest, in my humble opinion:





“Her art was everything, a point of view no less beguiling to me than the large painted gypsy-girl eyes and the small unpainted she-monkey face, and those elegant, charming tableaux she could achieve, even when engaged in something so aesthetically unpromising as, half asleep in the middle of the night, taking a lonely pee in my bathroom.”





Happy Reading!

No comments: