Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Book Review - Little Birds by Anais Nin

Let me just say right off the bat that I read Little Birds by Anais Nin in under two hours. 

Yes, I enjoyed it just that much.

Little Birds is a delightfully exquisite collection of short erotic stories mixed with wonder, enchantment and dreamlike verses that only Anais Nin could write. Each of the stories are what I like to call "slice of Life" stories in which we get a glimpse to a certain degree before moving on, yet our curiosity has been satisfied because the slice is filled with more than we expected. As much I enjoyed reading all the stories, my favourites were "The Woman on the Dunes" and "Saffron". You'll never look at that spice the same way again. These two stories stuck out in my mind as being the definite of what Anais Nin was all about and her "gifts" to the literary world. 

Anais Nin (February 21, 1903 – January 14, 1977) was not only a master of the short story and poetic prose, but also a great storyteller when it came to writing about her life in her "Diaries". Although I never thoroughly read her Diaries, I have read her prose, including House of Incest, Ladders to Fire, Children of the Albatross and of course, Delta of Venus. Since she was great friends with great authors Henry Miller (author of Tropic of Capricorn) and Lawrence Durrell (author of the WONDERFUL Alexandria Quartet), it comes as no surprise as to the nature of her work. She was truly a master of the dreamlike, the ethereal, the decadent and the erotic. 

One of my favourite quotes by her: 

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom."




No comments: