Saturday, November 23, 2013

This is NOT a Book Review of DUNE

So, I have finally finished reading DUNE by Frank Herbert and YES, I loved every page, yet this is NOT a book review.

Why, you may (or may not!) ask? Simple!

I know that many, many, many people have read this book and loved it - I think by now, almost everyone has read the book and knows almost everything about it.

However, what I would like to do in this blog post is talk about what I got out of DUNE.

Ready? Here we go!



DUNE is a damn fine novel with a good mix of everything for everyone: science fiction, mystery, politics, drama, romance, theology, spirituality, psychology, history and anything else I can't think of. This is a novel that made me ask many questions with answers that led to more questions regarding the Spice, the true role of Paul, the "relationship" between the Atreides and the Harkonnen and so on.

Although the majority of the book was set on Arrakis, I felt as though it could have been set anywhere in the world because the intrigues were born of human and therefore could be universally felt.

At times, I felt as though the sandworms were a symbol of Fear; when one can ride a sandworm and control it, then one can "ride" and control their Fear for after all, Fear is the mind killer.

Ingestion of the Spice means an awakening within oneself and the connection to everything around you. How many of us use yoga, mediation, Nature hikes and other methods to obtain said connection?

Although Jessica and Chani were seen as concubines, they held more power as opposed to a wife of a Lord; this reminded me of the geishas that were more than pretty women in makeup. They held power.

Spies were everywhere and no one, in a sense, could be trusted; one had to rely upon one's awareness in order to seek the truth of a situation or problem that lay ahead. This, again, is understanding that Fear is the mind killer.

I found myself fascinated with the Bene Gesserit as well as the Mentats; the Bene Gesserit were seen as soothsayers, witches, concubines and overall very powerful women that appeared to be more than human yet I found their "ways" to be both a blessing and a curse. I thought of the Mentats as computer-ish with the ability to tap into anything or anywhere they wished, thanks to the Spice. Paul, born of a Bene Gesserit who later has the capabilities of a Mentat, was the birth of both "cultures" in one being - this reminded me, to a point, of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker - the ability to work both light and dark of the Force to create a "new" Jedi.

If the Harkonnen and the Atreides were "related", then did that make the Harkonnen the "dark" side and the Atreides the "light" side of the same persona? As I spoke with a friend about this, he told me to think of the film The Dark Crystal.

So many questions yet I loved how my brain was challenged with every page. This is a trademark of a damn good book.


To end this blog post, I figured I would add my all time favourite quote from this book, even though I have quoted it before:


I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.


No comments: