Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Picturing America - The Latest Exhibit at the Dixon Gallery and Gardens



As I have said many times before, I am one of those Memphians that ACTUALLY loves living in Memphis! Although I have my reasons, here is one I would like to talk about tonight: the art museums. As being a member of both the Brooks and the Dixon (I will renew my membership to the Metal Museum soon, honest!), I get to visit their latest exhibits as many times as I want to and thankfully, both the Brooks and the Dixon have awesome exhibits this summer!

So, since I have spoken at great length about the Carroll Cloar exhibit at the Brooks, now it's time to talk about the latest exhibit at the Dixon Gallery and Gardens - PICTURING AMERICA: Signature Works from the Westmoreland Museum of American Art. This exhibit from August 4, 2013 through October 6, 2013 is a highlight of what the Westmoreland has to offer plus it is a great introduction to American art, especially if you are not familiar with American artists like me. Going to this exhibit has already proven to be quite the learning experience for me and I am glad for it.

Within the exhibit are works that date from the mid 18th century to the early 20th century, from still life to landscape to portraits to fill-in-the-blank: this exhibit has something for everyone. Some of my favourite pieces are:

Silver Thread Falls, Pennsylvania by James Brade Sword

Point Judith, Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island by Alfred Thompson Bricher

Apples in a Brown Hat by Levi Wells Prentice

Unity (Study for International Understanding and Unity: Supreme Manifestation of Enlightenment) by Violet Oakley

Two Sisters by Alfred H. Maurer

Studio Window, Anticoli by Guy Pene Du Bois (my all time favourite in the collection and the photo used above)

The Green Ballet by Everett Shinn

Oranges and Avocados by Doris Emrick Lee

And finally . . . Still Life With Plants by Milton Avery

 If you do get a chance to visit Memphis before October the 6th, do yourself a favour and visit the Dixon! This exhibit is well worth the time and money to see at least once; however, if you are an art junkie like yours truly, you will want to visit the exhibit again and again!

See you next Saturday, Dixon!

No comments: