Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Surrealist Dream - Andre Breton and NADJA

Andre Breton is considered to be the father of the Surrealist Movement in literature. Although I have only read the slim yet very dreamlike novel, Nadja, I would be remiss if I did not add my own two cents towards Monsieur Breton and "let" him know just how much of a Surrealist he really was.

Nadja is a tale of the author in Paris and his obsession with a young woman named Nadja that he meets on a street one day. She comes to him as if in a dream and from there, proves to be more than just flesh and blood. She is the epitome of a dream laced with insanity and Monsieur Breton only wants more.




I will admit that when I began reading the book yesterday, I was not sure as to what I would expect. After all, I purchased the book on a whim while studying the Surrealist Movement for fun. Every time I read a different notation, paper, or citation, Monsieur's Breton's name would appear.  I finally gave in.

Reading Nadja felt like waking up from reality and entering the dreamworld I occupy most of the time. The dreamworld is filled with people and places that seem, at first, to lack description and yet when we turn our heads just a bit, we can see them for what they truly are. The colours are either too bright or too muted and everything we feel is intensified. Once I stepped into Nadja, I felt that every time she spoke, she changed into something different and when I read about her eventual turnout, I felt it was fitting in a good way (you'll have to read the book to find out!)

I loved, loved, loved Nadja and only ask that others read it.

The dreamworld is waiting for you.



No comments: