Sunday, November 25, 2012

Chanterelles in November

Ever since I learned that mushrooms were not icky things but rather delicious and tantalizing pieces of Heaven, I have slowly made my way through the world of Fungus. First, I conquered the White Mushroom (not too hard to do!), followed by Portobello (yummy!), then Shiitake (YAY!) and Oyster (chewy) and now . . . . Chanterelles. So it was just my luck when, while walking through a Whole Foods grocery store, that I stumbled upon a lovelry bunch of chanterelles! Actually, I need to back up a bit: my obsession with chanterelles came from watching the film La Ceremonie. In one of the scenes, the two main female characters enjoyed freshly picked chanterelles that had been cooked in butter and garlic along with French bread. While I watched the women eating those golden little mushrooms, I knew I had to try them. Back to present: After purchasing a few of them ($29.99 a POUND!), I brought them home with glee, knowing that I was going to cook them soon. Well, soon turned into today. I cooked my little beauties with onions, garlic and olive oil and they smelled delightful!
Once cooked, I added the mixture to wild rice, sat down and bit down on a piece of chanterelle. The first thought I had was - CREAMY. Yes, apparently, mushrooms can be creamy. I chewed thoughtfully, swallowed, and then dumped the rest of the concoction onto my plate. I can now add chanterelles to my list of YEA BABY!

No comments: