Tuesday, June 5, 2012

THOUGHT - 5 June 2012

This June the 5th has finally given way to evening and all of my windows are open in my apartment to allow the breezes to come in and play with my things. Several minutes ago, I tried to read the book The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, only to stop due to my lack of interest. Normally, I love Russian novels, yet this one leaves me feeling quite out of place. A feeling that is quite hard to describe. I am craving a small bowl of strawberries, of which I do have in my refrigerator. I'm not sure what to read tonight and yet my eyes keep glancing at the only Faulkner book I own. Do I want to go down that road, I ask myself. The last time I tried to read Faulkner I could not even make it through the first ten pages. Perhaps I will read The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. I had read Immortality a month or so ago and loved every moment of it. Or, if I really want a challenge, I should try to read The Kindly Ones. Remember hearing about that novel? It won high awards in France and yet people claimed it to be foul and hard to understand. I purchased it a while ago and have even tried to read it, yet I almost threw up while reading about some scene that I no longer remember. Oh well. I had checked out several books from the library regarding aesthetics: one, because I am working on a new manuscript that deals with such a topic and two, because I like reading about aesthetics. What makes art ART? What makes anything beautiful or ghastly? Why am I attracted to dark things, things that, once they reach the light of day, forever changes everything? Questions of mine that will never be answered. The night sky is a lovely shade of purple and deep blue, almost indigo. Indigo is my favourite colour, in part due to the novel named Indigo by Graham Joyce. Most of my life is book related. Perhaps that's why I was destined to become a writer. And I am. And I will be for a very long time. Memphis at Night is very different than Memphis at Day. I had always thought that Memphis at Night was the REAL Memphis, the one that history books spoke of. One of my favourite pastimes used to be driving around Memphis at night while listening to opera. I forget to do that now, thanks to my ever busy life that is filled with many good things. My apartment is still and that's a good thing; I love the calm feeling I get when I am sitting alone with a good book, or watching Spongebob Squarepants or some foreign movie that I rented through Netflix. After looking at my bookcases in my living room, I finally decide to read The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Ah, Mr, Kundera, you shall have me tonight with cold strawberries and the sounds of Memphis traffic outside. This is my 5th of June.

No comments: