Monday, June 18, 2012

Shelby Farms Excursion

Shelby Farms was and always will be a place of refuge for me. Thankfully, it is located on the same street as my humble and artistic abode with only a 25 minute drive separating us. I decided to visit Shelby Farms this past Sunday so as to also completely break in my new hiking shoes (which now feel so much better!). Once I reached the park and slowed my driving down to 20 MPH, I belatedly realized that the area had several spots for lovers of the art of fishing, such as myself. I grumbled good naturedly then drove on to locate the perfect parking spot. Five minutes later, I gave up on such an idea and just found one that was open. Once I got out of my car Malachai, my mood quickly changed as I found one of the bike trails and set off. Cool breezes helped with the walk while my head darted this way and that, trying to take it all in. Suddenly, I discovered a small pond filled with lily pads and small animals that kept jumping in and out of the water. I had to get photos. After leaving the lily pad pond, I found patches of elderberry blooms as well as what looked to be black and red raspberries growing on either side of the trail. My eye also caught several moths and butterflies as well as my fungus friends; the day, so far, had proven to be quite filled with all sorts of natural eye candy. After walking up and down several hills, I decided to change course and head towards my parked car that was next to one of the large lakes possibly filled with fish just waiting to be caught, stared at and thrown back into their watery home. Of course, since I did not have my fishing gear with me, I merely walked by the lake and later behind it as I discovered several hilly trails just waiting for my boots to tread upon. I had finally found my secluded trails, of which did not stay secluded for long; several children whose parents were on the banks of the lake were walking through the paths rather loudly. I turned around and went another route, one that had less traffic and more scenery. Finally, after happily getting lost twice, I discovered a bench with a view of the lake (see above photo) and I knew that this would be my spot of momentary rest as well as a place to scribble down some notes. In our day to day lives, we spend so much time getting from one spot to the next that we sometimes fail to take a breath, relax and have a good cup of tea while reading a book. We simply fail to just breathe. When I sat down on that bench and began writing in my journal, I was breathing and it felt good. Being outdoors is a wonderful way to reconnect with not only the outside world, but also within ourselves. Once I finished writing what I wanted to remember, I packed up and set off once more. As I walked along, I noticed that the roots of the trees surrounding me looked very bulbous and strange, like misshapen tentacles. I pulled out my camera and took photos of these roots because I knew that describing them to someone would not do them justice: After walking, taking photos, sweating and just smiling like a goof ball for two hours, I finally decided to make the trip back to my humble and artistic abode. I hopped in my car and drove off, enjoying the air conditioner and listening to music while my eyes continued to take in my surroundings. Next time, though, I WILL bring my fishing gear!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should
check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.


Also visit my website - Cardsharing News

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a clear explanation of the
issues. It was definitely informative. Your website is very useful.
Many thanks for sharing!

my page: buy cardsharing