Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Earl Grey in the Evening - Photos from the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale, MS

Let me just say right off the bat that Clarksdale, MS is one of the coolest places to visit! Not only is it the home of the Delta Blues, but the people who live in the town are warm, friendly and super cool! The Juke Joint Festival was my introduction to the town and it did not disappoint.


This town is proud to show off their Blues heritage.




The entrance to the ultra cool Delta Blues Museum, a place where one can literally dance through it while learning about the Blues.



Miss Del's the place to go to if you want to find gifts of all shapes and sizes, plus they have my newest weakness - Bourbon Praline Pecans!






I saw this mural next to a gas station and had to take a photo of it.




Deak Harp, one of the musicians performing on Saturday. Not only was he a phenomenal singer and player, but he also made all of his instruments! A one man band and then some!


Although I do have many, many more photos, I wanted to least show my appreciation for not only the festival but also the town. When I drove back to Memphis after the festival, my pride for living in the South grew. The Blues is not just music; it is also a way of life, a way of thinking and an art form all on its own like its cousin, Jazz. Up until this weekend, I had never really listened to Blues (I am a Jazz fan, thanks to my grandfather!) and yet when I heard the music from the musicians, I felt something deep inside of me stir. The people, the artwork, the everything all rolls into an experience that can not be explained in words. It must be felt.

Thank you, Clarksdale, for giving me the Blues.

No comments: