Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wanderlust For All


I love to walk. It is one of my favourite things to do, especially when I am feeling down, sad, angry, happy, thoughtful, anything! Not only do I get exercise, but I also get a chance to view the world that normally rushes by me whenever I am driving around. All it takes is a good pair of shoes and you're off! Working in Downtown Memphis has the extra cool advantage in that I can put on my sneakers and walk out of my building to a new adventure every time. Sometimes, if the weather is cooperating with me, I'll bring my camera with me so as to take photos of things that I find to be odd and beautiful. Sometimes, I just plug in my iPod and let my music lead me. And still other times, I like to walk down Beale Street and smell the BBQ smoke wafting out of the restaurants while listening to Blues music and soaking up Memphis history.
Recently, I read a book entitled The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris by John Baxter in which he describes his walking journeys while living there. Some of the stories are touching, some are downright hilarious and still others speak of the artistic history of the City of Light. When I read this book with obvious joy, I imagined myself walking along the Paris streets, searching for a cafe in which to sit and watch people go by. I don't know if I'll ever visit Paris yet I do understand the desire to walk and SEE and be a part of just living.
I will freely admit that whenever Spring comes around, the wanderlust in me rises to a fever pitch. I will come up with any excuse to go for a walk, even if it's to purchase kleenex. Walking means just that much to me.

As Tolkien wrote in Lord of the Rings, "Not All Who Wander Are Lost."

Amen to that!

No comments: