Monday, October 10, 2011

The Land of Green Plums and Their Creator


If you had asked me just who Herta Muller was years ago, I would have said nothing. Now, however, I wouldn't be able to keep quiet about this remarkable woman. The first time I had ever heard of her was when I was in a bookstore in Memphis, searching for something new to read. My eyes wandered along several tables and soon they landed on a small trade paperback entitled The Land of Green Plums. Not knowing anything about the title or the author, I flipped it over and soon began a far off case of wonder and curiosity about the Romanian born author. Years later, I finally picked up a hardback copy of the book and began to read it. Although I am only a third of the way through, I can now honestly say that Herta Muller is a literary inspiration for me, right up there with Ian McEwan, Ernest Hemingway, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Jonathan Franzen, Toni Morrison and many others that grace my library in my home. A detailed book review and thoughts post will soon follow this post but I felt I had to say something about this woman and the words she speaks and writes. The Land of Green Plums is one of the darkest novels I have ever read in my life (including my own work!) and yet I want more. I want more of her words, her thoughts and her dreams that were once possibly dashed and later reborn. A new fire has been created in me, one that will not go away. A fire that smells of green plums. Thank you, Herta Muller.

No comments: