Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Review - Dragon Ring by Lettie Prell


Buy Lettie Prell’s book Dragon Ring. Buy it now.

Okay, now that I have done my shameless “commercial”, it’s time to review the book.

I met Prell at Fandom Fest in Louisville, Kentucky and even had the pleasure to do several literary panels with her. After being impressed with how she carried herself at the panels, I decided to pick up a copy of her book, Dragon Ring. What I read was quite possibly one of the best novels I have ever read in my life. This well blended mix of hard science, fantasy, environmental and metaphysical issues held on to my interest from page one and did not let go until the unfortunate final page. The main story is of a young woman named Nadine who lives in the recently established corporation of Guatemala in the distant future. She strives to live a life filled with technological advances yet her destiny lies elsewhere under the guise of reclaiming what she once took for granted.

When Prell talked of her book and of the “hard science” involved, I had no clue she would spend a portion of her work writing about quantum physics, one of my favourite subjects to study for fun. For those of you who don’t know what quantum physics is, it is the study of the subatomic and microscopic and their place in the physics mix. She gives equal attention to her other subjects with a clear voice and not one who writes about various matters just to impress their audience. Prell is the real deal when it comes to her knowledge of various subjects, plus she is one hell of a writer. Her prose flows steadily while her characters are believable in that they are “grey”; not one is purely good or purely evil. Everyone has their own motive for what fuels them through this strange tale; that is what makes them likeable as well.

The one question I had after finishing the book was this: could the event she describes actually happen if the technology was available? Could mankind truly do what she set out to do in her book? As a hopeful person, I would like to think so. I won’t give away the “ultimate” act, but I will say that it had me floored since I had no idea it was coming. With authors like Prell, the impossible can be believed as possible. Thanks Lettie!

No comments: