Sunday, July 31, 2011

Book Review - The Quinx Effect by Tyree Campbell


When I picked up the slim novel The Quinx Effect by Tyree Campbell, I wasn’t sure what to expect. True, I do enjoy a good sci-fi story, yet my last couple of books was of the straight literary genre. Writing dark fantasy and psychological thrillers drives my reading interests in the other direction, yet I purchased the book to see what it was all about. Although slim, the novel is quite packed with adventure, drama, mystery and a warm hearted ending that made the entire book quite enjoyable. Quinx is a young woman who recently lost her family due to a horrible accident in outer space. A woman named Harper who is also an exile due to a crime with much consequence rescues her. From there begins an unlikely partnership and friendship as the two “orphans” make their way towards a better life while Quinx comes into her own not only as a young woman but a being of courage and spirit.
Campbell, owner of Sam’s Dot Publishing, publishes many good works by various authors of the speculative genre (me being one of them!) yet I never read any of his own work in the years I had known him. His writing is smooth and fluid and does not require further research into any of what he describes, plus he writes female characters quite well and does not lump them into the “faint at everything” category. All of the characters are flawed but that’s what makes the story interesting; they make choices that change their lives without regrets, even when one of the choices made leads to death. I will admit that my favourite character is Harper; thanks to a denied situation, she takes her life in her own hands in a very gruesome manner and suffers because of it. Yet, the suffering makes her into a character with less doubt and more dark confidence. She is a woman that will not allow anything to stop her in her pursuit of what she wants. When Quinx meets her for the first time, Harper’s hair is cut short and half of her face is heavily scarred as punishment for her embrace into insanity. I did not feel sorry for her, merely intrigued by her and, once again, the choices she made to get her to that point. Quinx, in my own opinion, realized her true motives and eventually does not treat her like a monster, as so many others did.
If you like a good story, no matter the genre, with strong female characters, The Quinx Effect is for you. And, if you purchase this book, tell Tyree that Kimberly led you to him. He would be pleased.

No comments: