Saturday, July 30, 2011

Book Review - High Kings by H. David Blalock


H. David Blalock’s novella High Kings is a classic example of a What If: what if, thanks to technology beyond our wildest dreams, we can visit various places and people through history and change it? Such was the goal at the Institute for Historical Studies in Old Memphis in the Federated States in the year 2531. Dr. Satori and her teammates, with the “assistance” of TNF (Time Neutral Field), are set out to explore the highways of Time and “collect” various persons from history for further research and information. After “collecting” King Arthur from death in his final battle over Camelot, the scientific group focuses their energies on “Last Project”, releasing a can of worms that no one expected while giving way to answers to questions not considered possible. Add to the mix a former member of the team gone rogue while using TNF and High Kings becomes a story set out to make the reader think about the limitations of Mankind and what we can do to overcome them. What if, in humanity’s future, we finally invested time travel and were able to change the course of history for the sake of Mankind? Would it be like playing God? Do we have the right to conduct such experiments? Would it be for the better or worse of us all?

This book was basically a roller coaster ride from page one for me; I purchased the novella at Fandom Fest in Louisville, Kentucky and knew I was in for a treat. Blalock is one of the more solid writers of sci-fi and fantasy; every time I read his work, I know it will deliver quite an enjoyable reading time for me. High Kings is not bogged down with scientific highbrow words or complex theories, but rather a good story written by a top notch author with just enough science and magic to keep one interested beyond a mildly passing interest. When I finished the work, I read the ending twice just to make sure I was right in what I concluded, followed by talking to Blalock himself the next day and confirming my thoughts. The ending, although somewhat expected, still surprised me in how it was handled and how everything fell back into place after “Last Project”. I wish I could say just what “Last Project” is, but then I would be ruining the crux of the story. Do yourself a favour and visit Sam’s Dot Publishing’s website to order a copy of the book. You’ll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Herika R Raymer said...

Read it as well and was delighted at the story! I especially liked the difference between the experiences from one 'group' to its 'mirror'. Like Ms Richardson, cannot say much more without giving away interesting details in the book. I concur - pick up a copy and read some good old fashioned science fiction!