Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Dog Tulip - An Animated Film Worth Watching

The Brooks Museum, one of the art museums in Memphis, Tennessee, shows movies every Thursday for the discerning viewer. I had the pleasure of watching the movie My Dog Tulip this past Thursday, a true story of the life of author J. R. Ackerley and his 16 year relationship with his rowdy and feisty German Shepherd named Tulip. Set with the voices of Christopher Plummer, Lynn Redgrave and Isabella Rossellini, this animated film was quite a gem. The animation was very surreal, almost Yellow Submarine-ish, enhancing the main characters' qualities to a new level. I especially loved how Tulip sometimes appeared as a young lady with a dog's head, for it showed off her crazy antics and her unconditional love for Ackerley right on the spot. Although I had not read the book beforehand, I know it will enter my library very soon. For more information regarding the movie, please click HERE for details. The DVD will be available on 26 July 2011.

Happy viewing!

No comments: