Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Review - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming


Chitty.
Chitty.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

And so, the Pott family with their big green Paragon Panther with license plate GEN 11 travel from one adventure to another in the quite exciting book Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming, the same author who wrote all of the James Bond novels. This short novel gives children and adults just enough drama and suspense, action, wonder and fantasy to entertain the reader over and over again. Thanks to the eccentric yet loving Pott family, they rescue an old worn down car and bring “her” back to life while giving her a new home. And, in return for their generosity, GEN 11 takes them from an island near their home in England for a sunny day of fun to the coast of France to stop smugglers and their lives of crime. To the Potts, adventure is soon their middle name!

I purchased the 1964 hardback from a recent library sale and was pleased to see it slightly worn and yet still intact. I love purchasing older library books with some wear and tear; for me, the wear and tear makes me think that many people read and loved this particular copy. I especially loved the illustrations throughout the book, giving the story even more depth. I could easily see this work as a “James Bond for the younger set”. Now that I’ve read the book, I can’t wait to watch the movie!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

No comments: