Thursday, May 5, 2011

Book Review - Monday or Tuesday: Eight Stories by Virginia Woolf


When I first read Virginia Woolf years ago, I was thrown off by her stream of consciousness writing, which is ironic for me because most of my stories are written in that vein. And so, I placed her to the back of my reading list with promises to return to her some day. Today, however, was that day, for I read Monday or Tuesday: Eight Stories. The stories cover a wide variety of topics, all written in the stream of consciousness she was known for, and yet I loved it. The two stories that stood out to me were An Unwritten Novel and The String Quartet, even though all of the stories were truly amazing. An Unwritten Novel is Woolf at her finest; strange thing is that, while I loved the story, I had no idea what it is about. The String Quartet is told from two points of view: the two gentlemen as part of the audience watching the quartet, and the highly descriptive music coming from the quartet. Reading the short yet powerful book was enough for me to rekindle my love for Woolf’s work, even if I don’t understand it.

No comments: