Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tea Taste - Bigelow Earl Grey Tea

Tea Taste: Bigelow Tea’s Earl Grey


Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

Those famous words spoken by Enterprise captain Jean Luc Picard are now legendary to not only Star Trek fans but to also those who enjoy a good cuppa. For me, however, I am of both camps, hence the need to begin this review with that quote for Earl Grey is by far one of my all time favourite teas. Ever. Funny how a simple black tea with bergamot can make such a difference to one’s palate, especially when that palate has tried as many teas as I have. But every so often, I have to come back to my Ol’ Faithful, my “steady rock” of teas, just to give my taste buds a pleasing rest from all of the other blends out there.

However, just because I love Earl Grey does not mean that all Earl Grey blends are the same. Oh no. There are some blends out there that have a very light bergamot flavour to the tea, and while some people may enjoy that, I personally do not. To me, in order for your cuppa to be a good cuppa of Earl Grey, the bergamot must stand out in the cup without being too overpowering. That’s why I truly do enjoy Bigelow's Earl Grey Tea. Every time I open a bag, I can’t help but sniff it just so I can get a good whiff of the bergamot before placing it in my cup filled with hot water and sugar. Bigelow’s blend is also good with a good amount of sugar but not so much that all you taste is SWEET. The tea can be enjoyed at all times of the day and night without too much concern as to being buzzed all night long.

While checking my tea inventory tonight, I noticed that I only had two bags left. Not good. Although I just purchased three new boxes of tea (all will be reviewed on a later date!) I know that my apartment must have another box of Bigelow Earl Grey. I shall savour my two remaining bags until Thursday but I know they will be gone by then (grin).

Am I an elitist when it comes to my tea? Absolutely. I want the finest, the best tasting tea in my cups; anything else is just coloured hot water. So, I tip my bowler hat to Bigelow Tea for making such an excellent product. Don’t ever change it.

Rating: A+


Happy Cups!

No comments: