Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Green Earrings - a story

She wore the green earrings because she said they made her feel happier. They were a reminder of better days, the days when she actually spoke to her mother in loving tones rather than with curt one word answers. Deep down she wanted to forgive and move on, but she also held herself back as well. She was her own worst enemy when it came to matters regarding her emotions. She always blamed it on her traumatic family experiences, but the truth was that she was scared. None of her other friends realized the truth of her behaviour except for me; that was why I knew the green earrings would work. My own mother gave them to me when she thought I was ready and even when I took them from her, I knew that I was still not ready to accept such a gift. In my mind, I was simply going through the motions, appeasing everyone else but me. When I told her the story behind the surprise gift, she merely sighed while her hand lazily reached out for them. I should have known better, but in the end I had done my part.

No comments: