Saturday, October 13, 2007

WALDEN

A dear friend of mine claimed Walden was one of his all time favourite books and wondered why I had not read it yet. Being a bibliophile has its advantages but reading several books at top speed was not one of mine. I've never seen anyone read as fast as him (I used to think he had some sort of microchip placed in him when he was a baby, but I digress)

Two nights ago, fretful with not being able to choose a new book to read, I found my slightly worn copy of Walden and began to read it. Instantly, I was transferred to a time when man worked for his food, made his own clothing, erected his own home, and so on. Thoreau lived at Walden Pond for two years and two days and the book was his reflection of that time as well as life itself - creating a simpler life for the sake of a higher and greater good.

How many times have we been caught in the trappings of everyday modern life: the MP3s, the video games, the many, many channels of cable that offer nothing to stimulate our brain? Now, don't get me wrong, I, too enjoy mind numbing events like playing Quake II and Hexen II on my computer, or surfing the Internet to download really cool wallpapers for my computer. But sometimes, we need the time to stop the rushing, to sit down and listen to what is being said inside of ourselves. What we may hear might surprise us.

Walden is a book that everyone should read simply for the sake of knowing that inner peace and balance can be achieved if we only take the time to make it happen.
Of course, yours truly is only on page 70 so I have no idea what will come next, but don't worry; I will update this blog with more words from Thoreau.

Random thought from Thoreau: at one point, he obtained three pieces of limestone and placed them on his desk. But soon, he realized that he would have to dust them and so threw them out the window with disgust. He wanted to live in a dusting free residence and anything extra to create such dusting was not allowed. Live outside fully in Nature was a much better choice than living indoors with many items that needed to be dusted.

2 comments:

Hugh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hugh said...

You know,I always liked those 3 rocks...

If he had kept them ,had to dust them had to move them around; he would no longer own the rocks. They would own him.

As he says later in the book, "Simplify, simplify, simplify".